Humphrey Bogart Quotes

1.  I was born when you kissed me. I died when you left me. I lived a few weeks while you loved me.


2. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

3. Here's looking at you, kid.

4. Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

5. People who don't drink are afraid of revealing themselves.

6. The only reason to have money is to tell some big shot where to go - in the world to go to hell.

7. A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz.

8. The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.

9. The only thing that you owe the public is a good performance.



10. Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

11. They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem.

12. I always cry at weddings, especially my own.

13. Well everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.

14. I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.

15. If a face like Ingrid Bergman's looks at you as though you're adorable, everybody does. You don't have to act very much.

16. I came out here with one suit and everybody said I looked like a bum. Twenty years later Marlon Brando came out with only a sweatshirt and the town drooled over him. That shows how much Hollywood has progressed.

17. I made more lousy pictures than any actor in history.

18. You're not a star until they can spell your name in Karachi.

19. We didn't exactly believe your story, Miss O'Shea, we believed your 200 dollars.

20. How can you close me up? On what grounds?

21. Acting is experience with something sweet behind it.

22. It's been misspelt a lot. He decided on it. It's not Bog-ey. He signed with an -ie. And that's good enough for me.

23. (On Lauren Bacall) She's a real Joe. You'll fall in love with her like everybody else.

24. (about himself) Democrat in politics, Episcopalian by upbringing, dissenter by disposition.



25. I can't say I ever loved my mother, I admired her.

26. I don't approve of the John Waynes and the Gary Coopers saying "Shucks, I ain't no actor - I'm just a bridge builder or a gas station attendant." If they aren't actors, what the hell are they getting paid for? I have respect for my profession. I worked hard at it.

27. I hate funerals. They aren't for the guy who's dead. They're for the guys who are left alive and enjoy mourning.

28. Acting is like sex: you either do it and don't talk about it, or you talk about it and don't do it. That's why I'm always suspicious of people who talk too much about either.

29. (on Warner Brothers) This studio has more suspensions than the Golden Gate Bridge.






30. (On the untrained beefcake stars of the early 1950s, many of them picked up for screen tests from sidewalks and gas stations) Shout "gas" around the studios today, and half the young male stars will come running.

31. (On Bette Davis) Even when I was carrying a gun, she scared the be-jesus out of me.

32. Do I subscribe to the (Laurence Olivier) school of acting? Ah, nuts. I'm an actor. I just do what comes naturally.






33. (on Katharine Hepburn) She talks at you as though you were a microphone; she lectured the hell out of me on temperance and the evils of drink. She doesn't give a damn how she looks. I don't think she tries to be a character. I think she is one.

34. When the heavy, full of crime and bitterness, grabs his wounds and talks about death and taxes in a husky voice, the audience is his and his alone.

35. I don't hurt the industry. The industry hurts itself, by making so many lousy movies - as if General Motors deliberately put out a bad car.

36. (On Ingrid Bergman) "I didn't do anything I've never done before, but when the camera moves in on that Bergman face, and she's saying she loves you, it would make anybody feel romantic."

37. It is at least worth arguing that there is a modicum of the creative novelist in all of us, and that this absorption with how men get out of difficulties, single-handedly and alone if possible, is the stuff of which we weave the warp and woof of our own better dramatic imaginings.

38. This guy (Marlon Brando) - he'll be doing Hamlet when the rest of us are selling potatoes.

39. Unless you really understand the water and understand the reason for being on it and understand the love of sailing and the feeling of quietness and solitude, you don't really belong on a boat anyway.






40. The whole world is three drinks behind. If everyone in the world would take three drinks, we would have no trouble. If Stalin, Truman and everybody else in the world had three drinks right now, we’d all loosen up and we wouldn’t need the United Nations.

41. The problems of three little people in a big world don't add up to much.

What do you think of Humphrey Bogart quotes?

Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts